The early 1900’s witnessed several small Indian House”, located three miles north of Lumberton off the Elizabethtown road.  A Mr. Bob Collins had given the county a deed for one acre of land.  The school board then “permitted” Indian people of that community to purchase material and provide labor in the construction of a school house.


A one-room frame building was constructed.  With time, this school also became a setting for Indians to gather for worship and a church was organized in 1927.  The church was named Union Baptist also known as “Blue’s Church.”  When the Blue school was consolidated with Magnolia, the church people approached the county about purchasing the property.  Favorably, the acre of land was sold to the church people for $25.00.  However, for some reason, records indicate that the school board returned the money as a contribution to the church.


The church sold the school building and requested an additional one-half acre of land.  An appeal by Brother Carl Jacobs, speaking for the church, moved a board member by the name of Mr. Green and the church request was granted on the condition that Mr. Jacobs pay for the deed and its recording.


With help from the pastor, Rev. L.A. Maynor, and other deacons including Brothers R.C. Strickland and James Lowery, Brother Jacobs and others worked faithfully to bring growth to the church.  During 1945-46 the existing church facility was erected and a fellowship hall added in 1971.  The new fellowship hall provided space for many needs and services including living quarters for the pastor, Rev. Wade Locklear, who drove from Hoke County to serve the church.


The church continues to grow under the fine leadership of its current pastor, Rev. Mickey Lowery and the dedication of faithful members.  Its future is encouraging as a light on a hill that casts out darkness

Union Baptist Church

8895 Elizabethtown Hwy

Lumberton, NC 28360

Rev. Teddy Jacobs

Sunday School 9:45am / Worship 11:00am

Phone: 910-618-0658