In the early 1920’s Rev. Jim Maynor, Johnny Strickland and others met to organize Shady Grove Freewill Baptist Church.  It continued under that affiliation until 1963 when it came associated with the Freewill Holiness movement under Rev. Gold Carter.  One acre of land was purchased that year from Tony John of John’s Station (another acre was purchased later).  Trustees elected were  Summer Set Strickland, Ansel Strickland and “Big” Dan Strickland.


Later, church members became dissatisfied with the Freewill Holiness Conference and voted to become independent of any religious organization.  However, their need for denominational influence and fellowship soon returned.  Under the leadership of the pastor, Rev. Thurman Chavis, members voted to petition the Burnt Swamp Baptist Association for membership in the 1973.  The church was granted full membership the following year.


The sudden death of Rev. Chavis led the church to call Rev. Donald Bullard as pastor.  His leadership led to further growth and renovation of the church facility in 1976. 


Through the years several other pastors have led the church including:  Rev. Winfred Locklear, Rev. John T. Henderson, Rev. Roger Atkins and Rev. Tommy Owens.  The current pastor is Rev. Tommy Hagans.  The 1998 association Minutes indicate a membership of 44 and Sunday School enrollment of 41.  Receipts for the year were $22,000.  Brother Kenny Bullard held positions of deacon chairman, treasurer, and Sunday school director.  Brother Luther Strickland served as clerk.


Shady Grove is located on paved road 1105 approximately ten miles south of Maxton near US highway 501. 

Shady Grove Baptist Church

1794 Shady Grove Rd.

Laurinburg, NC 28352

Rev. Tommy Hagans

Sunday School 9:45am / Worship 11:00am

Phone: 910-844-3660