Cherokee Chapel Baptist Church located in Chadbourn, NC was founded on March 1st in 1941.  Four local Native Americans, Brother Charlie Hammonds, Sister Ella Locklear, Brother Oscar Lee, and Brother Charles Strickland, saw the need for a church.  Initial meetings began in the home of Sister Ella Locklear, and later moved to the home of Brother Grover Gibbs, where the Rev. Pettiway Strickland preached the first sermon.  The first pastor of the church was Reverend Percelle Locklear, minister from the Pembroke community.  In September of 1941, the first revival was held.


.The first church structure was a small frame building about 24’ by 30’.  A second facility was built and entered in 1947.  The church joined the Burnt Swamp Association on March 16, 19948.  One and eight tenths acres located at our current address at 715 East Institute St., Chadbourn NC 28431 were purchased from Bro. CH Hammonds for three hundred and eighty dollars.




The church was established under the direction of the following persons; Bros. C H  Hammonds, C B Strickland, Oscar Lee, Hector Chavis, Grover Gibbs, Jim Hammonds, Luther Burnette, Granville Hammonds, Graham Hammonds, Zander Hammonds, T W Stewart, McKenly Smith, Siss. Mary Hammonds, Verlane Strickland, Jettie Lee, Eller Locklear, Missie Strickland, Clio Hammonds, Artie Mae Hammonds, Braula Sweat, Carrie Mae Huggins, Swannie Chavis, Dorothy Huggins, Maggie Smith, and Ruth Hammonds.  The pasto was Rev. Percell Locklear and the trustees were Bros. C H Hammonds, C B Strickland, and Oscar Lee.


 Following is a list of pastors and the years they served: 


Rev. Percell Locklear from March 1st, 1941 to October 15th, 1945,


Rev. Rufus Burns, October 15th, 1945 to June 1976,


Rev. O J Burns September 1976 to March 1978,


Rev. Bobby Burns April 1978 to September 1981, 


Rev. Daniel Bullard March 1982 to September 1983,


Rev. James Albert Hunt September 1983 to May 1984,


Rev. Herbert Chavis December 1984 to Spetember 1991,


Rev. Ronald Campbell December 1991 to December 1993,


Rev. William Brayboy October 1994 to December 1995,


Rev. Roger Strickland June 1996 until present.




Following is a list of Sunday School Directors: 


The first Director was C H Hammonds followed by C B Strickland.  T W Stewart served from September 1951 1951 until 1973.  Raymond Hammonds served from 1973 until 1997 and Tony Watts is our present director.


Following is a list of our deacons: 


C H Hammonds, Hector Chavis, C B Strickland, Oscar Lee, McKenly Smith, Jim Hammonds, Billy Joe Hammonds, Lonnie Deal, Thomas Strickland.  Our present Deacons are Chairman Raymond Hammonds, Earl Stewart, and Lewis Hunt.



 Lights for the church were first cut on in March 1949 and on June 6, 1971 arrangements were made to put inside rest rooms.  In March 1975 the adjacent old school property consisting of 2 additional acres was purchased.  In 1980 a ground breaking was held for a fellowship hall.  On September 4, 1991 the church approved its first by-laws and constitution.  On July 24, 1996 Loraine S. Bullock donated to the church .6 acres of land.  Currently the church property totals 4.4 acres.  In June of 1997 the need for a pastor’s study, secretary’s office, three additional classrooms and 2 handicap rest rooms were met.


Cherokee Chapel Baptist Church

715 E Institute Rd.

Chadbourn, NC 28431

Rev. Ernest Goins

Sunday School 9:45am / Worship 11:00am

Phone: 910-654-4640