In 1918 six Baptist men and their wives met to organize a
church.  The name given was Bethel Hill
Baptist Church, located on a small sandy hill east of Shannon, NC.  The six charter members were S.V. Emanuel,
Danny Chavis, Lattie Hammonds, Huey Smith, Eddred Emanuel, and Thadus
Hammonds.  These men served as the
original deacons.  Other members included
Ora Hammonds, Chassie Chavis, Normi Chavis, and Lattie Chavis. 


Rev. A.T. Taylor was called as the first
pastor.  Other pastors who have served
the church include Rev. Godwin Hunt, Rev. R.W. Maynor, Rev. C.M.Cummings, Rev.
J.E. Hammonds, Rev. Glassie Locklear, Sr., Rev. Grady Hunt, Rev. Chesley
McNeill, Rev. David Hunt, Rev. Glassie Locklear, and the current pastor, Rev.
Jimmy Hammonds.


The church’s first facility was built on a one-half
acre plot given by Mr. Cant Smith.  This
track of land was later expanded to three acres.  Since the first structure in 1918, several
renovations and additions have occurred including classrooms in 1962, a
fellowship hall in 1964 which served the church and community as a child
development center for a period of time. 
In most recent years, the fellowship hall has been enlarged and
additional classroom and church offices added. 
A beautification program has provided the church facilities with an
inviting setting for spiritual renewal and growth.  The church is very active in community
outreach and provides a televised ministry through a local station. 

Bethel Hill Baptist Church

844 Rennert Road

Lumberton, NC 28360

Rev. Jimmy Hammonds

Sunday School 9:45am / Worship 11:00am 

 Phone: 910-738-5570